Becoming a mom for the first time is the greatest and the happiest experience for a female. Yet, it’s quite troublesome because the mother is full of apprehensions and fears about her baby’s health. Baby hair care, in particular, is an issue for the mothers.
Their inexperience forces them to over think questions; “Why my baby hasn’t got any hair?”, “Why isn’t his/her hair growing fast enough?” Some of the babies are born bald while others are born with soft hair of head. These hair usually shed and re-grow within a year.
Hair care for babies is quite different as their scalp and hair is very sensitive and using ordinary hair care products do more harm than good. A gentle approach can help your baby acquire good and complete scalp hair. Not only can it improve the health of hair but also the health of baby’s scalp.
Baby Hair Care Tips
The first step towards hair care for babies is not to worry too much. Make a list of dos and don’ts for and follow the list. Following are some important tips for optimum hair care for babies:
Comb you baby’s hair:
Always comb your baby’s hair after shampooing or conditioning them. It helps remove any pollutants and helps straighten the hair knots and tangle. Try to use small, wide and think toothed combs for this purpose.
Comb your baby’s hair gently and slowly. Don’t apply extra force or effort as it might further damage the baby’s hair. Try not to use large, thick toothed combs as they increase the hair damage
Don’t let the skin get dry:
Another important tip for getting ideal hair for your baby is not to let the skin get dry. It increases the chances of development of dandruff, flaky patches and rough skin. Don’t use oils for newborn as the skin is sensitive and use of oils can further complicate the situation. Wash your baby’s hair and comb the hair.
After that, apply gentle hair lotion. Washing your baby’s hair each day can even worsen the situation. You don’t have to wash your baby’s hair every day. Wash them on regular intervals e.g. once every 2-3 days. It helps preserve the natural oils and moisturizing substances released from scalp.
Choose baby hair care products wisely:
The hair and scalp of newborns is very different as compared to the hair and scalp of adults. It is way sensitive. You should, definitely, not use those shampoos and conditioners for washing your baby’s hair which adults use. The use of such hair care products can produce serious hair damage and can also cause skin rashes and other skin complications.
Always read the label before you buy a baby hair care product. Never buy a product if it is made of harmful chemicals. Try to choose those products which are made of natural ingredients.
Take your baby for a regular hair cut:
Take your baby for hair cuts on regular basis. A proper trimming can improve the growth you baby’s hair. It sure is a scary experience for your baby. So, accompany your child while he/she is having a haircut. Try to take your baby to haircut after a sound nap because kids are most cooperative and calm after a nap.
African-American Baby Hair Care Tips
Having knowledge of the right black baby hair care tips is one of the basic steps towards having healthy hair for your baby. The hair and scalp of black babies is quite different than other babies. Their hair is curlier and more prone to get tangled and fuzzy.
So, the hair of black babies and the way of taking care of them is not the same as other kids. Knowing the proper tricks can help your baby have healthy, smooth and long hair. Tips for black baby hair care include:
- Braids can help sometimes. But don’t make the braids too tight as it causes problems like forehead skin retraction, excessive tension over forehead and headache.
- You can also use hair bands to keep the hair straight. As with the braids, don’t keep the bands too tight.
- A lot of products are now available in markets which are best suited for ethnically diverse babies. The use of ordinary hair care products are not very effective for black babies. Try to choose soothing and natural hair care products that best suit the hair and scalp of your baby. Cara B naturally, for instance, is one of such products available in market which is best suited for African American babies.
- Keep your baby’s hair clean of dirt and pollutant. Wash the hair of your baby on regular intervals. Be moderate in washing the hair. Don’t wash the hair each day; it makes the natural oils go away leaving the hair fuzzy and tangled.
Hair growth tips for baby hair
Baby’s hair usually shed within the first weeks of birth and then re-grows with 1 year. In most of the babies this pattern is normal and they grow enough hair within due time. Following are some important tips that can help you improve the growth of hair in your baby:
- Use specialized products, designed for the hair of babies, with mild ingredients.
- Don’t shampoo your baby’s hair each day, put a gap in it.
- While shampooing your baby’s scalp, rub the hair and scalp gently and slowly with tear free shampoo. Don’t rush and don’t try to rub hard.
- Dry the hair properly and comb them afterwards.
- Try not to tie your baby’s hair in tight hair bands, pony tails and beads. It’ll just damage the hair further.
- Keep your baby’s head covered when going outside. It protects the sensitive skin from the harmful effects of sun light, smoke and dust.
Taking care of your baby’s hair is quite simple if you know the proper tips and tricks. Following these tips, you can give your baby a set of beautiful, smooth, shinny and long hair. It’ll definitely add to your baby’s confidence as he/she grows.